Sunday, August 10, 2008

Spain ’08: Viva la Vida

Having departed Spain almost two weeks ago, I have finally assimilated back into the “Southern” Culture of the United States. As in our society, the Spanish have many sayings or “refranes españoles.” Specifically, two aphorisms come to mind that convey the effects of Spanish culture on a foreigner.

No hay mal que por bien no venga.
(There is not bad from which good doesn’t come, or in every unpleasant situation look for the silver lining.)

Lo que en los libros no está, la vida te enseñará.
(That which isn’t in books, life will teach you, or life is the best teacher.)

When one compares the culture of the Southern United States with that of Spain or European society generally, one will find the two almost incompatible. Having lived in the Southeastern United States all my life, especially Atlanta, I have been raised in a society where time is money and every second of the day should be utilized to its maximum potential. Therefore, when I boarded an international flight destined for Madrid, I expected the same of Europeans. I was totally amiss! Spanish culture especially exemplifies leisure, not necessarily laziness, so that Spaniards will enjoy all aspects of life on a day-to-day basis. For example, in the States, we flourish on speed and efficiency, so when we dine, if you can call it that, it usually involves fast food or feasting in less than an hour. In contrast, Spanish meals involve cuisine, culture, and conversation. Almost everywhere we dined, we were given the opportunity to eat outside and enjoy life. While service was impeccable, I was never rushed and had time to fully digest my meal. Therefore, I tried to look at everything optimistically. In reference to the second quote, the university experience is one that will last a lifetime; however, one is limited in amount of information that can obtain from textbooks and even professors. At some point in one’s life, one must actually decide to experience what one is taught. Having finally experienced the Spanish language in its origin, I have concluded that it is extremely easier to learn a foreign language as a foreigner in a foreign country. Overall, the trip was a memorable lifetime experience. I can’t wait until I return.

(Valle de los caídos)

No comments: